Friday, June 12th. Annual Golf Classic Tournament. Sign up here.
The Ministries of our Parish are the essence of who we are as Orthodox Christians. Although we have a beautiful Church Sanctuary and Parish Campus, it is the saints – the holy people of God – who make up the Church. Our ministries are intended to enhance our Faith – keeping it active and pure – in order to draw near to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
ACTIVE FAITH ~ In the 23rd chapter of the Gospel of Matthew, our Lord criticized the religious leadership of His day, calling them, among other things, “whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones” (Matt. 23:27). Christ came to revive the people of Israel, deadened by this spiritual malaise. Through the ministries of our Parish, we seek to feed our souls in order to be alive spiritually.
PURE FAITH ~ In the book of Acts (8:26-40), the Apostle Philip asks an Ethiopian eunuch reading the Scriptures, “Do you understand what you are reading?” He responds, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” The ministries of our Parish seek to not only teach us who God is, but to experience His presence in our lives. “God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth” (John 4:24).
Worship is the heart of our Parish, pumping life into all our ministries. It includes our Sunday Divine Services, Sacraments, and the special services that take place throughout the year.
- The Music Ministry enhances our worship experience, being comprised of our Choir, Chanters, and Youth Choir. We offer resources to those interested in learning the theology and history of Orthodox hymnology – as well as classes for those wanting to learn how to sing or chant the hymns in both the classical and byzantine styles.
- The Youth Ministry is an expression of our young people being an active part of the Parish. Opportunities for youth to be involved include participation in Sunday School, being an acolyte, Greek dancing, and other youth programs.
- The Camping Ministry, in many ways, serves as a lynch pin to the other youth ministries of our parish. The education, spiritual nourishment, and fellowship that take root during a week of camp continue to grow and flourish throughout the year.
- The Philoptochos Society is the philanthropic arm of the Saint Barbara Parish. Philoptochos fulfills its mission to “help the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, those with disabilities, and the victims of disasters” through numerous programs that make a difference in people’s lives.
- The Missions Ministry seeks to spread the Gospel of Christ through works of love and mercy. This ministry includes the support of orphanages throughout the world and the establishment of Saint Barbara Orthodox Church in Kazinga, Tanzania, where we are currently seeking to dig fresh water wells.
- The VIP Ministry of our parish is a very active group consisting of individuals over the age of fifty-five, although we have a number of parishioners under that age that join in on the fun!
- The Orthodox Social Network (OSN) is made up of people who gather together for fellowship and support regarding their relationships, occupations, and children.
- The Campus Ministry provides an opportunity for the Saint Barbara Parish to minister to the needs of fellow Orthodox Christians studying at our local colleges and universities.
- The Education Ministry provides members of the Saint Barbara Parish occasions by which to learn about their faith and culture. This ministry includes the Sunday School, Scholarships, Greek School, and Adult Education Opportunities.
- The Fellowship Ministry recognizes that the Saint Barbara Parish is a family. This ministry provides opportunities for members of our Parish Family to interact and spend quality time with one another.
- The Hospital Ministry provides spiritual care for those individuals, and their family members, who are in hospitals, rehabilitation centers, adult care centers, and mental health centers.
- The Prison Ministry provides spiritual care for those individuals, and their families, who are in prison.
If you are interested in becoming part of one or more of these ministries, please contact the Church Office.